President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has renamed some federal government-owned airports after some prominent Nigerians.
This was contained in a memo by the Federal Ministry of Aviation dated June 1, 2023, and signed by Director of Airport Operations, Joke Olatunji.
The statement noted that the President renamed the airports as part of reforms of the Aviation sector.
The Maiduguri Airport was renamed after former president Muhammadu Buhari, Port Harcourt Airport was renamed after Obafemi Awolowo, while the Nasarawa Airport immortalised the late founder of the Sokoto Caliphate, Usman Dan Fodio.
Also, the Airport in Benin was renamed after the late Oba of Benin, Oba Akenzua II, Ebonyi Airport after the late Senate President Chuba Okadigbo, and the Ibadan Airport after the late Premier of the old Western Region, Ladoke Akintola.
Below is the full list of renamed airports:
- Akure Airport – Olumuyiwa Bernard Aliu
- Benin Airport – Oba Akenzua II
- Dutse Airport – Muhammad Nuhu Sanusi
- Ebonyi Airport – Chuba Wilberforce Okadigbo
- Gombe Airport – Brigadier Zakari Maimalari
- Ibadan Airport – Samuel Ladoke Akintola
- Ilorin Airport – Gen. Tunde Idiagbon
- Kaduna Airport – Hassan Usman Katsina
- Maiduguri Airport – Gen. Mumammadu Buhari
- Makurdi Airport – Joseph Sarwuan Tarka
- Minna Airpor – Mallam Abubakar Imam
- Nassarawa Airport – Sheikh Usman Dan Fodio
- Osubi Airport – Alfred Diete Spiff
- Port Harcourt Airport – Obafemi Jeremiah Awolowo
- Yola Airport – Lamido Aliyu Mustapha